Maple Valley Youth Symphony Orchestra
Maple Valley, WA
Maple Valley Youth Symphony Orchestra is dedicated to creating a place where students can excel musically, connect socially and grow personally. They do this through creating groups at all levels including Beginning through Advanced Orchestra groups and a Music Therapy Based Music Education Program designed for Special Needs Students. Our staff enjoys the freedom to create their programs, a competitive wage and a fun and positive work atmosphere. Our Special Needs Staff also enjoys the assistance of our “Music Buddies” Program in which specially trained members from our other orchestras come and assist our Special Needs Students.
MUSIC THERAPIST – Part Time, Temporary (September – January)
In collaboration with our Executive Director (Degreed Recreation Therapist), the Music Therapist will design and implement weekly Music Therapy Groups for “Jam Club” (our special needs program). Each Jam Club meeting is 45 minutes. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing Music Therapy activities for a 45 minute session utilizing already existing traditions and proven parameters (Hello Song, Gross Motor Activity, Social Skills Activity, Music Skills Activity and Goodbye Song).
- Requesting supplies as needed
- Utilize existing equipment which includes, but is not limited to: boom whackers, tone chimes, ribbon wands, scarves, small percussion instruments, large orchestra percussion instruments to create activities for students
- Providing direction for Music Buddies to help Special Needs Students be successful (i.e. “For this activity, each Jam Club student will need a Music Buddy to…”) and to provide adequate assistance to the Music Therapist.
Successful candidates will have:
- Degree in Music Therapy
- Experience with Special Needs Students
- Ability to lead both Music Therapy Groups
- Team player attitude
- Ability to lead volunteers (Music Buddies) to best assist Jam Club Students
- Candidate may be a practicum student as long as supervision can be by phone, email, and with the assistance of Recreation Therapist.
- Clean criminal background check
*Note: Our regular Music Therapist will be available on a limited basis to supervise and assist the Temporary Music Therapist as she will be recovering from surgery.
**Note: Our Special Needs program is growing! This temporary opportunity could grow into a regular position over time.
HOW TO APPLY:
For more information and a full job description, please email email@example.com or call Elisa Lewis at (425) 433-6009.
Job Opportunities at the Seattle Symphony
The Seattle Symphony seeks to hire Teaching Artists with a Bachelor or Master Degree in instrumental music performance, composition, music education or music therapy. A Teaching Artist (artist-educator) is a practicing professional artist with the complementary skills and sensibilities of an educator, who engages people in learning experiences in, through or about the arts. Teaching Artists will work in all areas of the Seattle Symphony’s Education and Community Engagement programs.
Please see the link for more information on how to apply – 2016 Teaching Artist
Employers – Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with current job openings.